Dark discoloration of the skin under the eye is mainly referred to as dark circles. It is also known as dark rings or shadows. Some of the main causes behind the formation of dark circles are heredity, aging, dry skin, prolonged crying, working for long hours in front of a computer, mental or physical stress, lack of sleep and an unhealthy diet. Both men and women of different age groups can have dark circles.
Dark circles are not a serious skin problem, but they make people look tired, exhausted, unhealthy and older. You can easily get rid of unsightly shadows under your eyes using some easy home remedies.
The caffeine and antioxidants present in tea can be highly beneficial for getting rid of dark circles as well as puffiness under eyes by shrinking the blood vessels and the tannin's, in particular help decrease swelling and discoloration.
- Chill two used green or black tea bags in the refrigerator for about half an hour.
- Place one tea bag over each eye and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and wash your face.
- Repeat once or twice daily for a few weeks.
Be careful not to get the tea in your eyes.
Massaging with coconut oil is another effective natural remedy to lighten dark circles. Due to its moisturizing quality, coconut oil also promotes smooth skin and prevents wrinkles and fine lines under eyes.
- Simply massage some extra-virgin coconut oil on the under eye area.
- Leave it on for a few hours, and then wash it off.
- Repeat two to three times daily for a few months or until you are satisfied with the results.
There are natural bleaching agents present in potato that can help lighten dark circles and get rid of puffiness around the eyes.
- Grate one or two chilled potatoes to extract the juice. Soak a cotton ball in the juice and place it over your closed eyes. Make sure the juice covers the dark circles under your eyes as well as the eyelids. Allow the juice to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse your eyelids well with cool water. Repeat once or twice daily for a few weeks.
- Instead of potato juice, you can also use thick potato slices to remove dark circles.
Cucumbers have skin-lightening and that help fix those eyes naturally. Plus, they have a soothing and refreshing effect.
- Cut a fresh cucumber into thick slices and chill them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Put the slices onto the affected skin area for about 10 minutes. Wash the area with water. Repeat twice daily for about a week or more.
- Another option is to mix cucumber juice with lemon juice in equal amounts. Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture on the affected skin. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash it off with water. Follow this remedy daily for at least one week.
Turmeric has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can help minimize dark circles. It will also make the skin around your eyes smoother and softer.
- Mix two teaspoons each of turmeric powder with pineapple juice to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste to the affected area.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes before wiping it away with a soft, damp cloth.
- Do this daily until you get positive results.
If you like this article? Why don't you share it via Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or any other way you like and if you like it then post a comment please.